Police Licensing for Safe Installers

Licensed Security Installers & Suppliers

Know what your security stockists & suppliers are certified to offer you.

You walk into a hardware store to purchase a safe to secure your valuables. You look at the different safes and the quality of the cast metal, and you ask the assistant for advice. But, are you certain the supplier you’re about to purchase your safe from is licensed to advise you on these particular security products or even to sell them? All security business needs to be conducted with the relevant licenses; here’s what you need to know.

What should I ask?

Is your supplier licensed to sell their products? Do they have the certification to advise you on the differences between domestic, commercial and industrial safes? Can they explain the different safe models to you and discuss the wide variety of security locks on offer? Are they certified for security product installations? Ask to see their license or certification and see for yourself.

What should they have?

The correct certification is as close to a safety guarantee as you are going to get. It means that your supplier is certified and police cleared per the required industry standards.

Each Australian state has different bylaws pertaining to safety and security. Here is a brief rundown to educate you on the Western Australian certifications to look out for when entering a safe or security services store.

Security installer license

Every security installer is required to have a security installer license. This broad license is broken into four classes:

  • Class 1:
    This allows an agent to install, repair and maintain locks, vaults and safes for domestic, commercial and industrial use. (These locations do not include vehicles, aircraft and vessels.)
  • Class 2:
  • This certifies an operator to sell and install alarms, CCTV and any equipment that is fundamentally utilized for security purposes; this includes the sale of bulletproof vests and electric fencing.
  • Class 3:
    This allows an operator to install security doors to domestic, commercial and industrial properties.
  • Class 4:
    Agents can install/sell various types of security locks associated with safes and vaults.

It’s also important to know that installers may only operate under agencies or companies that have the necessary agent licenses. Independent contractors cannot operate without an installer license, unless they register as sole-traders and apply for their own agent license.

Agent (Business) licenses

An agent license recognises a company as a supplier of safes and vaults, however it also forms an umbrella for several additional licenses that are required in order to provide industry products and services.

If you’re buying a safe and want it installed, you want to purchase from a company that holds a security agent license for added convenience and security.  

And just when you thought it couldn’t be more secure, any agents who work for the company are required to be independently licensed and hold non-agent licenses.

Non-agent (Individual) license

Non-agent licenses pertain to individuals looking to provide a security service. The following are relevant to agents who sell and install safes and vaults:

  • Security installer license:
    May install equipment in homes, offices and industrial sectors. This does not include installations on transport vehicles.
  • Security consultant license:

Can advise on security equipment sales and security services, as well as consult on the guarding and protection of property.

Agents need to be individually licensed before effecting the tasks of non-agent licensed individuals. If they supply products and services, their license will determine what they are legally allowed to do. If they want to also install and advise on the topic, they will require a different class of license.

For more information, contact Safe Central, where licensing is of the utmost importance and applied to every one of our security services.